Project Title: “Community Empowerment and Social Assistance to Refugees and Asylum Seekers”
Organization: “The Tenth of April”, UNHCR implementing partner
Job Title: Medical Advisor
Duty Station: Ukraine, Odesa
Duration: 01Apr2018 – 31Dec2018
Contract Type: contract of part-time employment
Ukraine is a signatory to the 1951 Geneva Convention on Refugees and has relevant national legislative and procedural framework, but provides very limited material assistance to refugees and asylum seekers.
While advocating the improvements of Ukrainian asylum system, the UNHCR under its mandate provides the concerned population with legal and social support through its legal and social implementing partners.
“The Tenth of April” is a non-government organization which implements the UNHCR program of social assistance and refugees’ communities empowerment in Odesa and Odesa oblast in accordance with the UNHCR policies, priorities and operating procedures.
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in communication and self-development in refugee issues, to complete a nine-month contract employment as a Medical Advisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Medical Advisor as the team member is expected to:
- advice on reimbursement issue in accordance with the UNHCR Standard Operation Procedures for Social Assistance Provision;
- assess conformity of medical expenditures with the indicated diagnosis;
- prepare written recommendation letters to the UNHCR, clarifying the PoCs’ diagnosis, medical background, etc.;
- prepare other descriptive covering letters (if required);
- advice on forming food packages for the applicants who suffer from TB, diabetes and other diseases which require special dietary nutrition;
- conduct activities to raise awareness of the applicants about healthy life-style, parenthood planning and others (upon suggested topics), in particular to prevent the most wide-spread diseases among PoCs;
- assist in developing easy-to-understand handout materials on the above mentioned topics;
- participate in Monthly Subsistence Allowance Committees to consider the issue on financial assistance granting, clarify the consequences of diagnosis in order to access vulnerability of the applicants (if required).
- General understanding of the UNHCR mission and mandate.
- Master’s degree in Medical Science, specialization – General Practitioner.
- Experience in health-care field as a General Practitioner at least 1 year.
- Computer skills (MS Office essential).
- Knowledge of oral and written English and/or Ukrainian is desirable.
- Tolerant behavior in order to respect individuals of various cultures, ages, genders, races, religions, traditions.
- Attention to the details in order to check the high volume of the medical documents, receipts and prescriptions.
- Empathy in order to express genuine concern for the clients’ needs and willingness to respond.
- Communication Skills in order to conduct educational activities for the PoCs in a comprehensive manner taking into account their education gaps, cultural peculiarities, and other issues.
- Team Working in order to work together on the common tasks.
- Psychological maturity to deal with vulnerable applicants.
The selected Medical Advisor will be based with the project team in Odesa and work under the Project Manager supervision.
The contract is expected to begin at the earliest convenience and be available for 9 months. The role is part time (50%) within 9am to 6pm.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation and CV in English and/or Ukrainian to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Medical Advisor” in the subject of the email.
The deadline for applications is 14 April 2018.
Contacts: +38 048 766 00 04; +38 093 662 85 24
“The Tenth of April” seeks to sustain its workforce diversity. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.