Project Title: “Community mobilization, legal and social assistance for refugees and stateless persons in Odesa”
Organization: “The Tenth of April”, UNHCR implementing partner
Job Title: Livelihoods Counsellor
Duty Station: Ukraine, Odesa
Duration: from the earliest convenience till 31Dec2019
Contract Type: contract of full time employment (100%)
Ukraine is a signatory to the 1951 Geneva Convention on Refugees and has relevant national legislative and procedural framework. Since 1994, UNHCR as an international humanitarian organization helps Ukrainian government to build the effective system of protection refugees. NGO “The Tenth of April” is a partner hired by UHNCR to undertake the assistance program in Odesa.
One of the component of UNHCR protection program for refuges and asylum seekers is Livelihoods and Economic Inclusion. After fleeing war or persecution, the opportunity to work and earn a living is one of the most effective ways people can rebuild their lives with dignity and in peace. So, we work to promote economic inclusion of refugees, advocating their right to work and building their livelihoods through market-oriented programs.
One of the activities aimed at strengthening the Project beneficiaries’ competitiveness in local labor market.
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in communication and self-development in refugee issues, to complete a year contract full-time employment as a Livelihood Counsellor.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Livelihood Counsellor as the team member is expected to:
– Promote the access of the Project beneficiaries to employment through cooperation with state and private employment agencies;
– Assist the Project beneficiaries with access to vocational trainings and further support;
– Local labour market analysis, searching for relevant vacancies and facilitating of the Project beneficiaries employment;
– Counselling of the Project beneficiaries on employment opportunities;
– Raising awareness of the Project beneficiaries on the issues of preparation of CVs, interview skills, job search resources and strategies;
– Facilitate the access of asylum seekers to labor market by supporting with obtaining work permits for the Project beneficiaries and interested employers.
– Timely and effective implementation of all the project activities;
– Regular reporting on the performed project activities within agreed deadlines;
– Compliance with all the relevant Organization’s policies and procedures, the Code of conduct.
– Organize language classes for refugees in accordance with their varied language levels and needs
– Monitor regularly the education process, ensure its accessibility and effectiveness
– Advertise the possibility of language education among refugees’ communities and empower refugees to study local language as the core way to their integration and peaceful co-existence in Ukraine as a host country
– Support the most motivated refugees with clear prospects in further long-term employment to be enrolled in intensive language courses under UNHCR costs
– Support UNHCR in monitoring of the implementing of the self-reliance grants as per monitoring schedule
– Assess the level of business activity and develop recommendations on how to make it sustainable and profitable
– Be responsible for preparing and keeping other relevant project documentation, such as correspondence, notifications, etc.
– In collaboration with other team members conduct other activities in order to find the best durable solution for the concerned population.
- General understanding of the UNHCR mission and mandate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, HR, Social Work or other relevant field.
- Experience in refugees’ protection field is desirable but not essential. The individuals with background in education, social work, human rights, communications, advocacy, journalism, international relations, development studies or other relevant disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in interviewing and staff competency assessment is an asset
- The candidate is expected to have genuine desire to learn and adapt.
- Advanced knowledge of oral and written English and Ukrainian.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office essential).
- Tolerant behavior in order to respect individuals of various cultures, ages, genders, races, religions, traditions.
- Time Management Skills in order to analyse the workload, assign priorities, and maintain focus on productive endeavours.
- Team Working in order to work together on common tasks.
- Interested candidate should know basic of labor law;
- Strong Communication Skills in order to counsel in a comprehensive and patient manner.
- Data Management Skills in order to keep relevant records and documents timely and accurately.
- Listening Skills in order to understand needs, demands and preferences of the project beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Empathy in order to express genuine concern for the clients’ needs and willingness to respond.
- Psychological maturity to deal with vulnerable applicants.
The selected Livelihood Counsellor will be based with the project team in Odesa.
The contract is expected to begin at the earliest convenience and be available till 31Dec2019. The role is full time (100%), the schedule is up to mutual agreement.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their letter of motivation and CV in English to email@example.com indicating “Livelihood Counsellor full-time” in the subject of the email.
The deadline for applications is 31Jan2019.
“The Tenth of April” seeks to sustain its workforce diversity. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.